Image credit: Lyntje and Peter Fromberg strolling down the street, c. 1950s. Courtesy of the Fromberg family.

Dutch Stitches

Penguin - Ulverstone

After the Second World War, the Australian Government encouraged migration from Europe. Two world wars and the Great Depression had seen the Netherlands endure great hardship. As a result, 180 000 Dutch people emigrated to Australia. The North West Coast of Tasmania saw a significant number settle here. They arrived with very little packed into their suitcases. Migrant housing was set up until they could find accommodation. There was some friction at first between the migrants and the townspeople, but over time, the ‘Dutchies’ became a beloved part of the community.

Mrs Lyntje Fromberg migrated with her husband Peter in 1952. They were sponsored to come to Australia by Mrs Rombout who was Lyntje’s sister. They arrived on board the Fairsea and lived in her shed on Penguin Road, West Ulverstone until eventually they purchased land in Amherst Street. Peter worked at Tioxide in Heybridge as a fitter and turner. He would come home after a long day at work and make 12 bricks each night by hand to build their house on their new land on the weekends. Many of the houses built by other Dutch migrants were pre-fabricated homes.

Lyntje was known as gifted embroiderer and dressmaker. She worked very hard to establish herself in the community with her skills. Peter made the spinning wheel on display for her and they both went to local farms to collect sheep wool to spin. ‘Lenie’, as she was known, made lovely rugs from the wool which she had spun. They had three children who were all born in Ulverstone: Peter, Anke, and William.

Other Stories